Skip to content

52 Re-Deux: Week 7

February 15, 2011

This week I attempted my first re-upholstery project! Now let me start by saying that I thought this would be fairly ‘easy’. I mean, all I had to do was unscrew the seat from the frame, pull the old fabric off and staple on new fabric. Well, when I actually unscrewed the seat I realized that there were about 50 commercial grade staples going all the way around the seat of the chair. I set to work with two different types of pliers and a flat head screw driver. As soon as I pulled out the first few staples I realized that there were two layers of fabric and staples, bringing the count to approximately 100 staples. I now understand why upholsterers charge what they do! After 4 hours of pulling, prying, and stapling (with my new Cynthia Rowley staple gun!), I finally had an upholstered seat. Then I set to work sanding down the frame and putting on a couple coats of white paint. Below is the finished product. Not bad for a first try (I just hope no one ever looks at the underside of the seat!)

Before

After

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: